Thursday, June 12, 2008

Over the miles... through the years... - June 12, 2008


Hey again! So, here we are, sucking it up and paying the dough to access internet from our hotel room. I must say, if it's this hard to find internet access in Edinburgh (one of the largest cities in Scotland), what's it going to be like in the little villages next week??? Alas, I will persevere... Erin has given me a sense of responsiblity. (Though, Erin, I must say, I'm beginning to think you're the only person besides my mom who reads these! :)

Anywhoo... So the last 2 days have been spent in the big city of Edinburgh. The city is broken up into the "Old Town" and the "New Town". Personally, I'm partial to the Old Town because I enjoy just walking around and looking at the architecture of the old buildings and stuff, particularly the cathedrals. I would spend all day in them, and walking around them, if I could. (WAY more cool than the silly old Grand Canyon...) I have been amazed by so many things, but the sheer AGE of everything is just unfathomable to me. I've never been able to imagine the US as a young nation (after all, 200+ years is nothing to shake a stick at...) but I'm looking at buildings and headstones (not that I'm hainging out in graveyeards, really) that are PRE-1700's! Ridiculous. Listening to the tour guide at Edinburgh Castle talk about its history was so fantastic (in an unbelieveable sense) that it seriously could have been fiction. (And his little kilt outfit didnt make him any more credible - at least not to me.)

So, rather than bore you with my thoughts, today I'll leave you with some pictures. I'll upload more on my facebook page, so check that out if you want to see more of those. Here's a link to those: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=25825&l=ac996&id=726183476 and http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=25826&l=0b53f&id=726183476
But first, here are some highlights... Enjoy!

This is a picture of part of the University of Edinburgh campus.


This picture is part of Edinburgh Castle.

I thought this street was cool - the way the houses wrap arund the block...

Shops in the Old Town.

St. Mary's Cathedral - How exactly how do you go about building a church like this in the 1700's?


St. Paul's Cathedral - There was a cool restaurant in the basement. Actually, most of the cathedrals here have a cafe or restaurant in them - perhaps to offset heating costs???

Ok, more later. Will post more ASAP... emphasis on the "P".

PS. I used to think Bill Meck had the easiest job in the world... but I was wrong. It seems to be the SAME here everyday. I call it the 50/50 forecast: Mid 50's for temperature, and 50% chance of rain. Everyday. Honestly.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you all are having a great time. If my memory is correct, much of Edinburgh was burried after the plague, and the new "old city" was actually built on top of the "old" old city. Is this correct?
Have you run into any soccer houligans? Have you seen any guys in kilts throwing telephone poles? Sorry, just have to ask the typical American wanna-be tourist questions.
Keep having fun (its up to you, just like you said). ...and watch out for flying telephone poles!

Becky said...

I like you little plaid hat. Looks like you are having lots of fun. Really interesting to see old buildings. Sierra was reading your blog tonight and liked it.
Love ya
Becky

Becky said...

Sierra laughed at what you said about him having to wear a kilt to his prom, ha ha.
Kristi was really sick today, but went to Joan's, There hoping it is the pain med, so she is not going to take any more.
Love
Becky

Unknown said...

Paul,

Yeah, you're right. There is a city under the city. In fact, you can tour it - but it's a "ghost tour", so there's no way I'm doing it! :) But, when the residents here refer to the "Old Town" and the "New Town", they're talking about sides of the city - distinguishing the more modern part from the traditional.

Oh, and no telephone pole throwers, yet - but plenty of random guys walking around wearing kilts, just as if it were normal. Strange. Thanks for checking the blog! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Kendyl and I love reading all you have to say. Can't wait to see the kilts!