Saturday, June 14, 2008

Movin' on Up...

So yesterday we travelled from Edinburgh to Perth. It was only about an hour trip - maybe a bit less. The scenery on the way was nice; so far we've had really great weather, or so I hear. I still think it's pretty chilly (as my pics from esterday will show), but we've had hardly any rain, which is apparently unusual for "these parts". Anyway, so we visited a history museum here in Perth, and then had a nice dinner - but not much activity. Today we'll do the full-city tour - lots of walking!

Things to note: the accents ARE getting harder to decode the further north we travel; the mini-egg breakfast is still made of a half dozen eggs (or perhaps ostrich eggs); and, exact directions don't exist here - we asked a man for directions to a particular restaurant last night and he made a spiral like motion with his finger in the air (think "wrap up" motion) and says, "I'd say it's a bit that way."

All good fun. Oh, and there's a string in the bathroom that you have to pull to turn the hot water on... let's not talk about how long it took me to figure that out... :)

Here are a few pictures from yesterday:

So this was the sunset over Edinburg our last night there - at what time, you ask? Try almost 11:30pm! And oh yeah, by 3:00am it's starting to get light again...



These are pictures of St. Mary's Cathedral in Edinburgh. The pictures dont do it justice, of course. It was MASSIVE - if ever I've used that word to fully capture something, it's now. This picture doesnt even encompass the congregational pews - the seats you see on the side are the choir rungs, and yes, that's the altar........ wayyyyyy up there. Massive. Honestly.


And here are a few from our short walk around Perth last evening. Since Perth is closer to the water (the Tay River, not the sea), it's a bit more windy (read: chilly). No idea what this blind-folded hoola-hoop guy was doing, but I thought I'd join in the fun.

More later! We're off to explore Perth! Oh, and if you're interested... here's a link to a map showing you where exactly we are right now: Scotland Map Find Edinburgh and look just north for Perth.

2 comments:

Angela said...

I'm enjoying reading about your trip Jeanine! I've been thinking about y'all a lot since my little brother is in Scotland on a mission trip RIGHT NOW also! He's in the Haberdies Islands. (I have NO IDEA how to spell that or if I'm even close) Stay safe - enjoy yourself!! Love y'all!

Unknown said...

Ang, I didnt know your brother was going to be here! I'll try to find those islands on a map and see if we're at all close - but I've learned that hings are NEVER spelled the way that they sound, here. Also, I cant wait to hear about your Disney trip!!