Saturday, June 21, 2008

Out of the Sky(e)

Hi again! Sorry it's been a few days; our time on the Isle of Skye was great, but it was certainly a taste of REMOTE living. People there had no concept of global interaction - as long as the sheep are good, life is good. The sheep WERE pretty cool... but I missed facebook... :)

Anyway, just an hour or so ago we arrived in Glasgow - the biggest city in Scotland. It feels a little like a very small NYC. It has a great public transportation system, little areas that are compartmentalized almost thematically, and there is random scaffolding everywhere - I love it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the scenery of the mountains and taking pictures of the sheep blocking the road - but I'm a city mouse, at heart. There was a part of me that relaxed more and more the closer we got to the subway system. Safety in numbers, perhaps. All that to say, blogging should be much easier these next few days - really, from here on out.

To round this out for tonight (as Justin is ready for his turn with the laptop...), I'll just post some pictures from our time in Skye - If they start to all look a bit the same... well, it's a fairly small island...


This is a waterfall we saw on the side of the road while we were driving. It's actually a much steeper fall than it looks.


So these two sheep - a mommy and a baby sheep - were just walking off into the sunset together, as if the road were theirs for the wandering... We hated to drive up to them and scare them off.
This is not a joke. There seriously was this full-functioning phone booth in the middle of a grass field. Just to the right of it you can barely make out a little wooden bridge path that leads across the edge of the loch (read: lake) to the 5-6 houses that were out there. When the tide comes in these people cant drive to their houses; they can only walk across the foot path. Insane.
We hiked up to these cliffs to look down over the water. We hoped to see some seals, but I dont think we did. (Sometimes your eyes can play tricks on you though...) It was a pretty stinkin' far way down, and it was really windy!

This is the remains of a family fort - built by family clans in the 14-1600's to protect against invaders to their villages. The family would hide out in here for as long as necessary, as it was easier to defend than their thatched-roof houses. They were simple inside, but completely built from stones - that must have taken forever!

Those of you who know me well know that food is sometimes difficult for me - I'm not picky so much as I am choosy... So, this delightfully American meal of pizza, french fries, and Mac-n-cheese was quite exciting. Still, I feel the need to report that not a single one of those items tasted like they would at home - Thus, I was still getting The Scotland Experience.

Will write more tomorrow night after we see the sights of Glasgow! Cheers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would say I am jealous, but then there is the haggas and the telephone booth in the field. I too am a city girl. Good luck out in the Scottish countryside. :) Your pics are outstanding and I love blogging...even if no one reads them. :) Love, Steph Stobaugh

Unknown said...

That picture of you with the huge plate of food is priceless. I love it. And that waterfall picture is pretty. I love waterfalls. haha