Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Interesting Signage

Justin and I once again find ourselves in this little bar called "The Room"... and we totally love it. The decor is totally modern and very comfy. We have established tabs at the bar, and have "our section" in the corner where we monopolize the electrical outlets with our laptops (and power converters, of course). And PS, the diet cokes are great... :)

So just for fun today, rather than recounting the castle and mountain adventures of the day (though they were great... once again...) I though I'd share with you some of the more interesting pieces of signage that we have come across in our time here. It has amused me that the people here have such... um, quaint... ways of saying things. For example, one sign that we saw (that I didnt get a picture of) was on a little side road and it said "Not suitable for long vehicles." How nice is that?? In the US, it totally would have just said, "No Trucks". (Just in case the word "suitable" is troublesome for some...) Another was a sign that read, "No mobile phones whilst driving." I loved it. "Whilst" - we just dont use that word enough. And so, without further delay, here are a few of the more interesting ones that we have come across...


It FAINTLY says "offence" in the space below; but, the point is clear - be sure to pay attention when walking your dog lest he foul whilst you're not looking... :)



What if it were as easy as walking down the road?? Surely this shop would be outfitted with gold stars and incense burners - and no, I never actually found it.



Since you all DO dream about your baked potato fillings... I hope that this sign inspires you to branch out beyond sour cream & chives.



This was at the bottom of a really tight spiral staircase - So as I walked up, I counted (of course) to see what might happen at the fateful 11th step. I am happy to report that I did make it beyond that point, despite the change in color of the steps!!



Both parts of this one seem awkward to me - but, I basically take the bottom to read, "You're not allowed in here unless you're allowed in here." That same sentiment is in another sign I keep seeing that says , "No entrance except for access." Well, jeez...

What does it do if you wake it up, exactly?

The bathroom sign at any good Mexican restaurant...

It says, "Spirit Vat"... and it even has a nozzle for easy dispensing... so if your spirit is low, fill up here!

My rebellious side... what can I say?

When the crew at St. Andrews heard that Justin and Josh were coming to play a round, they promptly set up a sign to warn the locals...

Ok, so there are a few more, but let's not spoil all the fun in one day, shall we??

Tomorrow we are off to the Isle of Skye... despite it's tropical-sounding name, it is, in fact, still part of the Scottish highlands (high meaning northern, not altitude, as it is coastal). Nevertheless, it is quite remote, and I havent been able to locate a place for sure that has internet access there, yet. So, of all our locations, it will be hardest to blog from there. I'll get back on here just as soon as I can, though, to update you on our journey! Oh, and wish us luck - tomorrow we go Nessie Hunting... I even brought special shoes...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are enjoying your blog. Have fun.
Grandma Barbara

Angela said...

More signs!! I love those and they made me laugh!! Keep em coming. If you eat one of those baked potatoes you must tell us what made it so special. ;)

Unknown said...

I love it! It looks like you all are having such a relaxing trip even though you're seeing lots. Keep those blogs comin'...
-E

Unknown said...

These signs are hilarious! I love it! :]